Thursday, January 7, 2010

Slacker.

2010
The year of the non-slacker.

No, seriously.
(OK, OK. So 2010 to 2020 will be the decade of the non-slacker, since there is no way this will all be accomplished in 12 months. But I am going to put a serious dent in this list people. Watch me.)

I never make Resolutions, because then I break them and get all pissed off at myself.

Not this year.

These are life changing resolutions not little wimpy "I'm going to try this" resolutions.

So, without further ado - here are my Resolutions:
(In list form. I have an obsession with lists. They help me. I know. I have issues)


1. STOP being a slacker. Which is paramount to the success of the all of the other resolutions I have made.

2. Get myself in shape. I signed up for a 5K in May. I typically don't run unless chased, so Brian will have to run as well. Behind me and preferably in a scary mask. It's all about motivation people.

3. Get my house in shape. This leads to resolutions a through q - for now....

a. Lay new wood floors in the dining room, entry hall and sitting room.

b. Renovate the upstairs bathroom. I have the toilet. I picked out the tub. Now I just need to get motivated to actually do it. (plans to follow) Go me. I rock.

c. Paint the downstairs study/bedroom. I have the paint picked out. Again, motivation needed.

d. Add some decorative moldings to the bottom half of the dining room walls.

e. Design and actually make wooden valances for the family room windows. I have a plan. Let's put it in motion.

f. Add crown molding to the big family room to match what's there and give it a more finished look now that it's painted.

g. Talk my husband into moving our bedroom downstairs into the girls old playroom (which they have lost all privileges to after a very rough weekend right before Christmas when there was lots of smack talk coming from the mouths of my 6 and 9 (almost 10) year olds who refused to clean the room whereupon I subsequently did and closed the pocket doors, which have not been opened since. Howdya like THEM apples?) This move will require the addition of a toilet, sink, and shower being installed in the laundry room, which requires the jackhammering of the concrete floor of the laundry room which happened to be the old garage floor. This will all require money, of which we have none, but I am not to be deterred.

h. Blow out the wall between the two guest rooms at the end of the hall upstairs to give Sydney a rather large room which should see her through her teenage years.

i. Move Olivia into our Master Bedroom upstairs where again, she should be able to make it through her teenage years. The moving of the children upstairs ensures that they will each have sizable rooms in which to keep all the paraphernalia that comes with having two daughters.

(The timing of all this is going to be hoot - like playing a game of dominoes)

j. Expand Olivia's old room to create a larger spare bedroom between the two new upstairs girls rooms, which can then be used as a den of sorts for them and their friends as well as another spare bedroom for guests.

k. Reconfigure the kitchen. (plans to come)

l. Talk my hubby into converting the wood burning fireplace in the morning room/breakfast area into a gas fireplace so we can actually use it on a regular basis and keep our electric bills down below the million dollar mark, which should help fund my other projects. (I'm kidding, of course)

m. Remodel the sitting room into the room I want it to be, which includes the refinishing and reupholstering of a couch which belonged to my grams. This should be quite entertaining since I plan to do this myself and I'm certain itll be a disater and you'll get quite a chuckle out of it.

n. Talk my hubby into installing several rain barrels so that we can capture the rain water to keep all of the gorgeous foliage and vegetables well hydrated during the summer months.

o. Talk hubby into FINALLY allowing me to have a real vegetable garden rather than just growing peppers and tomatoes in pots on the deck for the chipmunks enjoyment.

p. Paint the trim. All of it. In every room of the house.

q. When I get my crap together I will post a full picture breakdown of the house as it exists, and what the plan is.

4. Finish that pesky little thing called "Grad School"

5. Spend more time with my kids since I feel like Olivia is already leaving me for bigger and better things - like her friends. Sydney's not far behind her, I'm sure.

6. Spend more time with my hubby, since I'm pretty sure he's been neglected these past several years by a wife who works full time, goes to school part time and is trying to help parent two very challenging young girls (more on that later). This can only help me achieve Resolutions 3a through 3q, since it tends to be easier to convince a happy hubby to jackhammer through concrete then it does a cranky one.

7. Start reading. I love to read, but I find that I don't anymore. I miss it.

8. Plant a money tree in the backyard to fund Resolutions 1 through 7.

9. FINALLY quit smoking for good.


Ahhhhh.......I feel so much better. I LOVE my list.

This weekend I will begin the process of marking one of those items off the list.

Stay tuned.......

No comments: