Monday, November 15, 2010

The Henry Family Creed

Remember this?


050

This 16 x 24 board has kept me very busy lately.

052

I have always loved all the old vintage subway signs, but not enough to pay a ton of money for one. I also liked the look, but not necessarily the sayings on those old signs.

So I went a'Googling and found several website offering personalized "vintage" signs.

Since they cost a bazillion dollars a piece, I figured I could make one myself.

I skipped down to mom and dad's and, lo and behold, he had the perfect board!! Most of the signs I'd seen were 12 x 24, but 16 x 24 would totally work.

I'd make it work.


So I spray painted it black.




054




053


I particularly liked several different versions of a "Family Rules" sign.

So, Brian and I came up with a few sayings of our own, and borrowed a few sayings from the ones we'd seen.

I created a template in Microsoft Publisher and - since it was so big - had to tape all the pieces together.




004




Now, I had our layout, and added our name to it.

It took me a while to figure out the best way to get the template onto the board.

Finally, after searching and searching and SEARCHING, I found some white transfer paper.



001

Seriously, why is this so hard to find around here?

The store where I finally located it wasn't open evenings or weekends so I had to send my brother to get it for me (which reminds me, I owe him $11.00).


I taped it to the board and put the template over top.


008

And then I hand traced everything.


006 007



This is where the copious amounts of this came into play:



049

TED-I-OUS.



009



It probably took me about two hours to get the entire thing transferred over.
It was really fairly easy.
Just a little labor intensive.
And my neck and shoulders were killing me the next day.


Here's what I ended up with.



015



016 017


I am not sure what I was thinking, but I decided I could hand paint this all on.




018

Um, do you see how different all those fonts are?

Yeah. That was a bitch.

I used a lot of paint pens, but then didn't like how it looked.

So I ended up going back over most of it with a paintbrush and paint.





002

Yup, that's right.

I basically did it TWICE.

Brian spent a lot of time running to the liquor store. Copious amounts, people.

But here's what it looked like after all that painting.


014

I liked it.

Brian liked it.

But it just didn't feel right yet.

Out came the sandpaper and steel wool.

And here's the final product, with one coat of matte poly (which was still wet when I took this)




I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Every single saying on there is something I want my girls to remember.....
(listen to your parents - they know everything)

And to know.....
(know you are loved)

And aspire to...
(always be honest. always keep your promises)

And maybe I could learn a thing or to as well....
(have patience)

So, what do you think????

Joining Metamorphasis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch.



I'm joining Pamela over at Be Colorful's "Motivated Monday".

She's got some serious motivation over there - check it out!!

8 comments:

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Hot damn! That is amazing, I can't believe how awesome it looks. Obviously, Corona gives you super powers.

Life in Rehab said...

That. Is. So. Cool. I love the process too- it's nice to know I'm not the only one out here muttering, "Crap, that didn't work. Let's try THIS."

And there's usually a wine glass just out of camera shot with my projects too.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Oh my goodness. This is AMAZING. I'm in love with it. A lot of heart and soul went into this one. I think it's an heirloom, in my mind.

And, I also think you're a saint for having the patience. I wouldn't have made it past the first coat of black paint. Patience... not my strong suit. But you are inspiring me.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Okay, that would have taken a lot of time, and for me it would be wine or martinis instead of beer but wow what a masterpiece and something that could easily get passed down to the next generation..... someday years and years from now. :)

Love it and love that you, like me, don't have a Silhouette machine and resort to ingenuity.
Hugs and have a great Thanksgiving

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I forgot to say thanks so much for sharing this at BeColorful. I don't have a featured button yet and my post was so long last night that I didn't add any features from last week but I am bookmarking it and will come back to it.
Pam

Anonymous said...

This looks great!!! I really want to attempt this someday....and like you, with a beer chaser.

Thanks for stopping by Shes.No.Martha!

Barbara said...

This is just amazing! You can tell all the work that you put into it. It is personal and filled with love.

Anonymous said...

THIS is seriously cool. I absolutely love it and want to do one for my family. Got to make sure I have enough beer and tequila to do though, lol ;o)