Sunday, October 25, 2009

A pretty place to potty


Our guest bathroom downstairs needed a little refreshing, so that's what I've been doing for the past few weeks. These are old pictures - taken at different times, but you get the idea ...







It has a great soaking tub, nice long vanity and I love the tile and the brick. I was getting bored with the cream colored walls, but I didn't want to make it too dark because the room gets little natural light. Since I keep many of my outdoor plants in this room over the winter (You'll see why in a second) I decided to go for a crisp "organic" look.....

The walls were painted the palest of greens....







I found fabric water repellent shower curtains in a shade just a touch lighter than the walls....





I hung a mirror and some candles over the toilet - there's no direct light over there and it's just a tad dark. I still need to decide what to do with the color of the mirror and sconces - paint the mirror black? Paint both the mirror and candle sconces a creamy beige? Crackle paint? Suggestions welcome....







The mirror helps reflect some of the light back into the potty cubbyhole and the candles give it just enough extra light.....





I hung some white shears in the window and used an old curtain rod I had (that I LOVE and didn't have a use for..... it has amber colored glass balls on the ends - so pretty!)







Then, for privacy since you can see directly into the potty cubby from the deck, I hung a cool bamboo shade that it so pretty and carries through the color of the walls in some of the individual pieces of bamboo - I love it.






I used an old chest and put some towels in it - I needed a place to keep guest towels and I haven't found anything I like yet. We brought in the plants I wanted to keep and put them on the tile platform and changed out the light bulb for a grow light for the winter.


We replaced the lampshade and hung a shelf with some candles on top....





So, there it is. The only things I bought were:
Shower curtains
Mirror and sconces
Bamboo shade
Paint
Everything else in the room was recycled from elsewhere in the house.

It reminds me of a garden with the pale green walls, the plants, the bamboo...it's very inviting.

1 comment:

Bethann said...

Martha Stewart has NOTHING on you. Very lovely. Can't wait to visit again and check it out ;-)