Saturday, February 23, 2008

Killer Joe at the MET

WOW!!!

Let me just start this by saying that I have the attention span of a gnat. It really takes a lot to keep me enthralled - the only word I can think of to truly describe how I felt this evening - and this play held my attention more than anything I have watched in a long time.

If you live in Frederick, Maryland - go to your phone immediately, dial information and ask for the number for the Maryland Ensemble Theater and order tickets. And do it fast. Because it's selling out and they are turning people away at the door....

One of my very best friends in the world, Megan (love you babe!) called me a few weeks ago and suggested that we go see this show at the MET. I should probably mention that one of our friends, Gene', and her husband, Tad, started this theater ten years ago and I have known them for years. As a matter of fact, I used to do a very poor job of running lights for them in the local bars when they used to perform with their improvisational comedy troupe "The Comedy Pigs"...who are absolutely hysterical.

Although I didn't do much for them I think they kept me around because I found these people so funny that I would laugh hysterically at rehearsal and that's what they were looking for....and I earned the nickname "Sparky" - which I happen to like.

So, anyway, when Megan suggested this, I said Sure! And let's go to dinner too! At Quynn's Attic - a restaurant owned and recently opened by another friend of ours who, along with Megan, Me, Gene', my brother and a plethora of other people, used to all act together in HIGH SCHOOL. That was 20 years ago for me, but as you can see, those friendships and connections have existed until now. I think that says something.

Anyway, Gene' joined us for dinner and we had a great time. And then it was time for the show....

And I LOVED it. I'm still thinking about it. What a dark, twisted look it was at family. There was laughter - violence(which had me on the edge of my seat) - sexual themes (hubba, hubba) - and a gorgeous naked man - I'm talking full frontal nudity, and it was impressive. I couldn't tell you the color of the actor's eyes, but I can tell you what he looks like naked. I'm in lust with Killer Joe.

But the amazing part - to me - was that when the lights came up for intermission, Meg and I looked at each other and went "WTF?? I don't want to stop! Keep going! Screw intermission!!"

And when it ended, we both wanted to know more of the story - surely it couldn't end there! What about Dottie and Killer Joe? What about Chris and Ansel? What about Charla?

Rarely is there a TV program, or a movie, or even a play that can do that to me. But this one did. And if you live anywhere near Frederick and you DON'T see it - you are doing yourself a disservice. So, call now and reserve tickets - you won't regret it....

No comments: