Monday, September 20, 2010

The List, Revisited....

In January I posted a pretty ambitious list of things I wanted to accomplish this year.

Let's take a look and see how I've done so far, shall we? Alrighty then....



1. STOP being a slacker. OK, I'm actually still working on this one. (Actually, I'm pretty sure I've taken a step backwards here).


2. Get myself in shape. I'm not doing too bad here - Brian and I took a break from our P90X, simply because the evening activities with the kids, out of town guests, football games (both real and on TV) have interfered. BUT - we're starting back this week. I hope.


3. Get my house in shape. (Resolutions a through q). Ok, here's where it gets bit interesting - Hopefully I can cross some of these off!!


a. Lay new wood floors in the dining room, entry hall and sitting room. This would require money, which we don't have right now. Moving on....


b. Renovate the upstairs bathroom. YAY! This one is done! Woot!

c. Paint the downstairs study/bedroom. Holy crap - another one to mark off my list - Yahoo!


d. Add some decorative moldings to the bottom half of the dining room walls. This will be happening VERY soon....


e. Design and actually make wooden valances for the family room windows. This is my current project.


f. Add crown molding to the big family room to match what's there. I am holding off on this one until I get the valances up. I need to see them up before I decide what to do about the crown.


g. Talk my husband into moving our bedroom downstairs into the girls old playroom. I have him convinced that we should do it, which is a far cry from where we were last year. It'll take me another year or two to actually get him to do it....but he will. Trust me. He will.


h. Blow out the wall between the two guest rooms at the end of the hall upstairs. This will happen after item g.


i. Move Olivia into our Master Bedroom upstairs. Again, all dependent on item g.

j. Expand Olivia's old room to create a larger spare bedroom. I really need to get moving on item g.......

k. Reconfigure the kitchen. I am currently rolling on the floor with laughter at this. Not happening anytime soon.

l. Talk my hubby into converting the wood burning fireplace in the morning room/breakfast area into a gas fireplace. Again, I have him thinking about it, which is light years ahead of last year......

m. Remodel the sitting room into the room I want it to be, which includes the refinishing and reupholstering of a couch which belonged to my grams. This is my next big project. It will be done by spring. I think.

n. Talk my hubby into installing several rain barrels. Nope. didn't happen.

o. Talk hubby into FINALLY allowing me to have a real vegetable garden rather than just growing peppers and tomatoes in pots on the deck for the chipmunks enjoyment. We WILL have a garden next year. He agreed. And I have witnesses.

p. Paint the trim. All of it. In every room of the house. Yeah, I hate painting trim so it's a safe bet that this won't get done anytime soon....

q. When I get my crap together I will post a full picture breakdown of the house as it exists, and what the plan is. Um, was I supposed to do this?


4. Finish that pesky little thing called "Grad School". DONE DONE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Check Spelling

5. Spend more time with my kids. I definitely have been able to do more things with them now that I'm not distracted with homework. and they like to help me on all my projects, which is fun.


6. Spend more time with my hubby. Eh - we haven't really been able to carve out too much time just for us, but we're still working on it.


7. Start reading. I just read three books in a week. I'm BACK BABY!


8. Plant a money tree in the backyard to fund Resolutions 1 through 7. I can't seem to find one of these anywhere....


9. FINALLY quit smoking for good. Still working on this one, but I hope to be able to say that I have officially quit smoking within the next few weeks.


Not too good, but not too bad either. I still have time, so I can knock some of these off this list before the end of the year, right?
RIGHT?

4 comments:

andrea frazer said...

Type A personality much? LOL! You and I are soooo much alike.

Hey, what books did you read?

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Wow, impressive list. Some may think you're crazy. If you are then I am too. This is the kind of thing I do and this has made a fun post. It also holds you a bit accountable. I find that when I make a list like this I know I won't get everything done. Some of it is just dreams but hey, you never know. :) and just having it written down helps me to prioritize or stay on task.
I like looking back on my old lists. I obviously don't get everything done and some of those things that are still not crossed off I am rethinking and not sure that is what I really want to do after all.
Loved your post.
Pam

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

I think "paint trim" is on my neverending to do list. Seriously. Trim multiplies. It gives birth when you're not looking.

Kelly

p.s. Congrats on grad school!

Connie in Hartwood said...

You are a very brave woman for publishing this list for the whole world to see. Shoot ... I admire you for taking the time to make the list in the first place. I prefer to keep my head firmly in the sand, and gnaw away at whatever project is bothering me the most. If I were to ever take a look at the 'big picture', I think I would run screaming.