Friday, October 28, 2011

Sad face :(

Sydney didn't win.  

She's devastated :(



She'll get over it I'm sure.  This is the part of parenting I struggle with...seeing my kids heartbroken when they've worked so hard makes me want to cry.

I want to fix it.  

But I can't and let's face it - this is a "life lesson".

Otherwise known as "Things sometimes SUCK and there's nothing you can do about it".

She did VERY well, got a great grade, and got a shout out from a representative from the BOE about her project.

But, there were some awe inspiring projects there, and while I was hopeful she'd move on to the County Science Fair, I can see that there were other projects that deserved to go.

So, we consoled her, told her how proud we were, we told her it didn't matter if she won, she did her best and had a great project and we told her that next year we'd do something EVEN BETTER.


I just wish I could convince her that even though she didn't WIN, she did an amazing job.

Her thinking is that she didn't win, therefore she didn't do a good job.

How do you counteract that?

And when did she get so competitive?

And why are my girls so hyper about getting A+'s and 100%?

 I can honestly say that we have always told them to do their best - if it's a B and they worked for it, we'd be proud.

It's about the work and the effort, not the grade.

Who's going to remember when they're an adult that they got a B in Math in the third grade????

(Well OK, I do, but I digress...although I'm still a little pissed off about it.)

On another note - to all my east coast/north east and mid-Atlantic peeps - stay safe and warm in the SNOW!!!

(Seriously?  October snow?  Who'd have thought???)

No comments: