Friday, January 27, 2012

RIP dear Dishwasher

Our dishwasher went to appliance heaven this week. 

We're all in mourning.

Me especially, since my delicate hands are not used to such manual labor as washing dishes.

It takes me back to my childhood when my parents reFUSED  to get a dishwasher because they "already had two" - meaning my brother and I. 

har. de. har. har. 

Did I mention that as soon as I left home they went and purchased a top of the line dishwasher?  Yeah.  Story of my life.  Kinda like the time they put in the in ground pool.  Also after I had already left home. Did I mention my brother is 5 years younger than me and still lived at home and reaped the benefits of all this? 

Well, now you know.

And, no.  I'm not bitter.        Much.   

ANYWAY. We've found a new dishwasher and it will be ordered today.  I had three criteria:

1.  MUST be a tall tub.  I can't stand not being able to put large things in the dishwasher.  I'm spoiled. 
2.  No Stainless Steel.  Sorry - I know it's the norm to want stainless steel appliances, but I find them cold and they attract fingerprints (not good with two kids).  Plus I like to use magnets on my appliances to hang the girls art work, love notes etc. - mostly on the fridge but sometimes if it's been a particularly "arsty" week, we may overflow onto other appliances for a day or so. So no stainless. 
3.  It has to be cheap - but get good reviews.

Anything is going to be quieter than our old 1995 Maytag Dishwasher - God love him - who cleaned dishes like a champ but you could hear a mile away, so "noise level" isn't on the list. 

It looks like we found what we needed and at a really good price.  Now I just have to actually  order it and then wait for it to be delivered so we can install it. 

This, of course, means at least a week or two of dishpan hands. 

5 comments:

Bethann said...

It's called paper plates, plasticware and lots of dinners out or pizza, LOL! I went THREE YEARS without a dishware. what the what??? Yeah, three years. Sigh. Now may be the time to introduce "manual labor" to the girls, hehe!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

You're going to love your new baby! We had a crappy dishwasher at the old house and I swear it didn't clean anything. Our new dishwasher is a miracle worker. I agree about stainless. I couldn't see paying the extra money for something that would never be clean and looked a little too industrial for my taste. I went with black appliances and have been really happy. Still need more cleaning than white, but they pop well with the white cabinets!

Hope you love your new dishwasher!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

I'm beginning to regret the stainless appliances as well. They are constantly filthy looking! GAH

andrea frazer said...

I need a new dishwasher also. I have been doing dishes by hand now for 2 weeks. I don't mind it so much, though, since I'm so over my husband complaining about how yukky the plates and glasses were coming out. I also think it's great you didn't go stainless steel. That IS hard to clean!

tearinguphouses said...

what IS it with dishwashers kicking the bucket lately?!

same story here!