Friday, January 11, 2008

Sneezes and sniffles and coughs, OH MY!

Well, Sydney has a nasty case of bronchitis. I took her to the doctor and they said it's viral so no antibiotics (which I'm OK with - not a huge fan of giving kids medicine just to make me feel better). However, we are going on almost 4 days now - and her fever is spiking to 104+. It only does down to 101 with the Motrin or Tylenol and that's just not acceptable to me! We had to pull out the nebulizer from when she had pneumonia a few years ago and she's taking breathing treatments every 6 to 8 hours which she HATES!

I, however, have been through all this before - my kids don 't get sick very often, but when they do - Look out!! We get the high fevers, the loss of appetite (Sydney hasn't eaten anything substantial for a week now - but she's drinking water and juice like a champ, so I'm not going to freak about it) the nasty cough, the breathing treatments (Try and make an 18 motnh old sit still and breath in a tube for 15 minutes every 6 hours - it's a learning experience!) At least now that Sydney's 4, she can hold it herself and even though she complains and doesn't like it, it's much easier. And for some reason, I am not the nervous Nelly I usually am when my kids get this sick. Don't get me wrong - she's sleeping with me and Brian because I need to keep an eye on her fever (she needs medicine literally every 4 to6 hours) and her breathing. She's SO CLOSE to the precipice of pneumonia and I just want to make sure she doesn't go there.

And she is SUCH a love bug. She wakes up in the middle of the night burning with fever and still manages to tell me that she loves me and gives me a kiss. Of course, she's also been delirious because of the high fevers =) But since she tells Brian and I ten times a day that she loves us, I know its not the fever.

So, I could be in LA sightseeing and having a great time and instead I'm sitting in my kitchen looking at the dirty house and listening to Sydney sing a little song as she snuggles up to me and I realize it's no contest. My kids won't need me forever, so I'll take all the snuggles and "I love yous" I can get now - even if they are delirium induced! I'm amazed at how independent my kids have already become and sometimes I can feel them just slipping away from being kids who need their mommy to adolescents who don't want anything to do with me. I dread that day....

So, sick kid, dirty house, rainy day and all, I'd rather be here at home than anywhere else in the world right now.

No comments: