Monday, May 31, 2010

Dresser Redo - DONE FINALLY!!!


Remember this?



This is my $10 dresser from Goodwill. I found it months ago and have been working on it my spare time.




I wanted something tall, a bit narrow and with drawers to use in my dining room. I was looking for a buffet, but this fit the bill perfectly.



It had great lines and those nice dovetail joints, and the drawers were fabulous.

The paint was hard to get off, so I stripped it, and sanded, and stripped it and sanded........



It will eventually go into Olivia's room when we move around the upstairs, and I wanted it to be a nice, fresh, neutral color, so I painted it "Camembert" - the same color as the bottom of the dining room walls and trim. Her room will be in chocolate brown and pale green, but since the dresser is going to be in the dining room for a while I wanted something to snazz it up a bit.



The "H" is chocolate brown and the embellishment is a pretty pale green.



I added green glass knobs.....



And finally put it in the dining room this weekend. It holds my formal silverware, all my table cloths and other table linens (arranged by season of course - yes I'm that dorky) and still has plenty of room to spare.....




I painted it inside and out (I wanted the drawers to be nice and fresh) and coated all the runners of the wooden drawers with candle wax so they'd slide easier. There's no metal hardware at all in the drawers - it's wood on wood.




It's the perfect size for the dining room and looks pretty when you come through the front door.



Hopefully, the "H" makes it seem NOT so much like a bedroom dresser.....

I also found some great stuff at the Habitat for Humanity Restore (where I could spend a LOT of time if I'm not careful) so I'll fill you in that soon.

We're having a "Thank You" party next Saturday for the volunteers from the benefit concert so I'll be busy with that this week.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day!

Thank you to all those men and women who have served our country.

Linking up to Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey found you on BNOTP and I redid a dresser too! AND its in my dining room! I'm the link after yours, btw. Good job!

Cass @ That Old House said...

It looks fantastic!

Love it in the dining room ... the RED dining room. (Yeah, mine's red too; love it.)

Thanks for visiting That Old House; almost my entire home is decorated with either family pieces handed down, or with Craigslist, Ebay, thrift or side-of-the-road-on-trash day furniture. Can't imagine buying new ... well except for beds and upholstery!

Happy thrifting!
Cass

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

Really pretty. I love how it turned out. But you should keep it there and get something else for your daughter!

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Ah, the candle wax trick - love it! That turned out really nice.

Anny said...

This is truly gorgeous! You accented it so well :)