Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Domestic Goddess..... um, Domestic God

My husband is a wonderful man. Have I told you that? He and I have always split the "domestic duties" pretty much down the middle. It's one of the things I love about our marriage. There are no lines. There is no "I'm the woman, so I'll do this. You're the man, so you do that". We make a great team.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I feel like I contribute more. I'm a detail person, a planner. He's a "live life for today" kind of person. It causes some clashes, but for the most part - we're good!

I have always been the cook in the family. I cook, he cleans up. Worked for us and it worked well. All of a sudden, Brian has taken an interest in cooking. Which is great, because, let's face it, I'm not home much with school, work, etc. And I love it! He looks up recipes (on-line and in my many cookbooks), plans out meals, has all four food groups covered. On top of that he puts the girls to bed, has been doing the "house" laundry...

But, I'm having a hard time reconciling myself to this. I LOVE the help, don't get me wrong, but...

I'm the mom.

I AM THE MOM.

It's hard for me to let some of this stuff go. I'm NOT trying to be a martyr. But sometimes I feel like he's June Cleaver and I'm...Ward. I love the fact that I can take on this role. He's not a "career" guy, doesn't have the ambition that I do and doesn't want to think about money, retirement, etc.
But I feel a little pushed out. It's stupid, I know.

Help! How do I balance this all? How do I accept that our roles are becoming more and more reversed? How do accept the fact that, even though I'm "the mom" that doesn't mean I play the mom role the way I think it should be?

No comments: