Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oh, what a beautiful morning.....

Today I woke up feeling like I had actually slept very well. I could still use a few more good nights sleep, but I feel pretty good!

The main reason for my feeling good is the knowledge that I just finished the biggest transaction of my career. It's something we have been working on for more than four years, it's something very close to my heart and my co-workers hearts and up until two weeks ago the entire project was in jeopardy. When the green light was finally given, we were elated! And then we realized we had only DAYS to pull everything together.

So, my "team" and I have been working very long days and nights, coming in early, staying very late, and working on nothing else. Thursday and Friday were the "D-Days" and everything was completed. I would say that everything went off without a glitch, but PUH-LEAZE! All in all the glitches were minor (in my very pessimistic, expect the worst and be as prepared as possible point of view. They were world ending glitches in some peoples points of view) Although it was nerve wracking, it's done.

I met some amazing people this week and got some really incredible confidence boosters. I know what you're thinking...lack of confidence? HER? Miss Bossypants???? Come ON! But it's true.

And I learned some things....

I realized that I have a lot of information in my head and sometimes a random piece of obscure knowledge about something that happened years ago will pop out at the perfect time, surprising everyone, including me.

I realized that most of the time I actually DO know what I'm talking about, and I shouldn't be afraid that I'll say the wrong thing. (Of course, this actually only relates to work - in all other aspects, I should probably keep my mouth shut so as to avoid shoving my foot in)

I realized that I naturally fall into the role of authority. I know, I know, I'm bossy. But it's not like I walk into a room and, hands on hips, look at everyone and say "OK. I'm in charge. Follow my lead...Sleepy-copy this! Grumpy -Get me a file! Dopey - wipe that stupid look of your face!" It truly just happens. It COULD have something to do with the fact that some people have told me I have teeny tiny control issues, but I'm not ready to accept that point of view yet.

I realized that I truly love, love, love the career I've chosen. On the flip side, I hate, hate, hate the fact that my job and school sometimes take so much time away from my family.

I feel really good right now. Like I could take on the world!

So, in the natural order of things, next week I'll ROYALLY screw something up and kick myself for being such a FREAKING idiot and then the planets will realign and everything will be right with the world once again.

No comments: