Thursday, October 30, 2008

Led ZeppelSmith

So I'm driving home tonight and the DJ's are talking about the new music rumor going around - Led Zeppelin is thinking about touring again. Without Robert Plant.

The hell you say!


But it's a true rumor - which is an oxymoron, but whatever.


I mean, they already lost John Bonham to that big drum set in the sky, so that only leaves Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones left. Without Robert Plant, that's only 2 out of 4. That's only 50% of the original band.


And without Robert Plant?

That's like the Rolling Stones touring without Mick Jagger.


Like U2 without Bono.


Like Aerosmith without Steven Tyler.


Oh, did you say Steven Tyler? Funny you should mention him, because he's the one who's said to be the possible replacement for Robert Plant. Hence the DJs name for the band:

"Led ZeppelSmith"


Now - I should definitely mention here - in the vein of journalistic integrity to you, my faithful readers - that Brian's favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin. Like, seriously favorite band. It's quite amusing at times. And I feel the same about Aerosmith.

I see a battle of epic proportions brewing.


Brian supports my Aerosmith habit, as I support his Zeppelin habit. When we went to the Aerosmith concert several years ago, we sat on the lawn at the outdoor arena, very near some sort of structure in the middle of the lawn. I said "They're coming out here to play". Nah, Brian said. That's probably for the sound guys since it's a platform maybe 30 feet by 30 feet.

Regardless, I chose a spot for us to sit with our friends that was about 50 feet from the platform.

Halfway through the concert, when Steven yelled "We're coming out!!!" and pointed to the platform, I was on my feet running full steam ahead to get a good spot. I was up and gone before he finished his sentence. I didn't even look to see if anyone from our group was following me.. I didn't care.

No way in HELL was I missing this!


I got right to THE FRONT. About 60 seconds later, Brian made his way through the crowd to me. I was in a frenzy. I didn't even notice that I was about to be smooshed by the crowds pushing in to get closer. I didn't notice all the people pushing and jabbing and shoving. I was in a state of awe. When the first chords of "Dream on" were played, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Steven and Joe Perry were RIGHT THERE. I was like a teenager at a Beatles concert. It's a little embarrassing to think about, actually.


I could have touched them - if I wanted to get swatted by security.

I danced and sang and was generally the happiest person alive being that close - it was indescribable.

I barely noticed that the jostling had stopped, and that I seemed to have a little room to be able jump around and sing and no one was pushing me. It wasn't until the end of those few songs when they went back to the main stage that I came out of my daze and realized that my loving husband had rushed after me and, when he saw the crowd pushing towards me, had made his way to come and stand behind me, put both his arms out in front of him, on either side of me, to hold back the crowd to protect me so I wouldn't get hurt. So I could enjoy it without everyone running into me and crushing me. And he stood like that the whole time they played on the lawn.

Can you see why I love him?

Anyway, as much as I love Steven Tyler, I have a hard time picturing him fronting Led Zeppelin. Aerosmith and Zeppelin both have a very bluesy sound (which is probably why I love both bands).


But, I just can't imagine anyone but Robert Plant's magical voice singing those songs.

(That being said, don't think I won't be the first in line to buy tickets! )

1 comment:

Bethann said...

I heard all about this on the radio on Thursday last week. I agree. It's Plant or nothing. Otherwise, come up with a new band, cover some of the Zepplin stuff, but you can't be "Led Zepplin" with 2 out of 4. That's just silly

Love the story about Brian and the Aerosmith concert. That is one of the sweetest things I've heard of in awhile. I need a nice guy who'll keep me from getting crushed at a concert. LOL!