Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm Petunia...meet my husband Porky.


Brian and I are getting fat.

Age has a lot to do with it. Lack of activity probably doesn't help. That and the fact that we love food and drink. Brian has discovered a love for cooking fish and seafood. He is now the designated seafood and fish chef, while I am the everything else chef.

We eat well - lots of fiber, lots of veggies, everything low fat, and not a lot of junk food. However, since I have not been following the Weight Watchers plan as closely as I had been, I have noticed the pounds creeping back on, ounce by ounce. It happens so slowly that you don't really notice it at first. Then one day you get on the scale and think that can't possibly be how much you weigh.

But it is.

I have struggled with my weight my entire life, so I'm used to this game. Brian however, was a string bean who could eat anything and everything and he ate a LOT of junk food (until he met me and I made him eat fresh veggies, broke his salt habit and showed him that gravy isn't technically a side dish). He never gained weight.

Ever.

And then he hit his 30's.

Welcome to my world.

He's absolutely baffled about how this happened and is determined to do something about it. I have been bugging him for years to join a gym with me or get a treadmill in the house - something where we can get some exercise! He's never been interested.

Until now.

Now he's MO-TI-VATED. I am going to strike while the iron is hot and join the Y. We could all use the exercise, they have a fabulous gym, racquetball courts, pools, it's close to us and they have some great kids programs.

I don't expect to look like I should be on the pages of a magazine in designer clothes or a bikini (God Forbid). I'd just like to be comfortable in my own skin. And comfortable in my clothes.

Brian....well, Brian would like to look like a 20 year old studly underwear model.

I'll let you know how it goes....

No comments: